Sunday, October 17, 2010

The one in the cartoon socks? He wins.

My kid could elicit laughs and comments like "He's so cute!" while wearing a Member's Only jacket over a "I Heart Kim Jong Il" T-shirt.

That's not a statement about my son being so amazing. That's simply the way it is with children; they can pull off almost any look. And I'm seriously jealous about that.

Case in point: I'd most certainly be ostracized for wearing that same (hypothetical) Kim Jong Il T-shirt. (NOTE: Luckily, my Jong Il fanhood went south a few years ago. All Jong Il apparel has long resided in the giveaway clothes box in the spare room, next to my five-sizes-too-big Fila ski jacket from junior high and my MC Hammer pants.)

In fact, I'd be laughed out of most rooms if tried to sport almost any of my son's ensembles. You name it, he has the confidence and dimples to make it work. Overalls on top of pastel polos. T-shirts featuring super-cheesy sayings. Cartoon-emblazoned socks. Black pants with tan shoes. Sweatpants to church on Sunday.

My envy has convinced me to sabotage his outfits time and time again (after all, I help control what he wears), but I've come to realize he's immune to such shenanigans. You win, Crazy Toddler. You win.

Add this to the long list of reasons Peter Pan was a smart dude.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely. You'll have to pay the $76.87 or whatever it will be in shipping. The Postal Service has us over a barrel, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Kids can wear anything and be cute. Not fair.
    I was unaware of the Kim Jong apparrel.
    You learn something new every day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd pay really good money to see you in those Hammer pants. Top dollar.

    Don't you occasionally cringe at what your kid is wearing, though? In the dimly lit bedroom those socks looked brown. It turns out they're pea green and not really working with those light pants, blue shoes and striped top...covered in yogurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing.