Monday, August 2, 2010

Pretzel mix ... or else

Can you carry a snake-bite kit onto a plane?

This is the paranoid type of questions I've been asking myself since I first planned my three-day-weekend trip to Grandpa Alger's house. No, I'm not that stupid or that paranoid. My fear stems from the fact that my nearly 2-year-old Crazy Toddler (CT) will accompany me on this trip —without his Mamma.

Not only must I face the pressure of caring for CT without any adult supervision, but I must do so at an airport — the place where my happy thoughts go to die.

Can you get arrested if your baby's in-flight crying surpasses a predetermined level? 

It's difficult enough putting oneself through the rigors of an airport. First there's the pressure to get the little info tags filled out while the luggage loader's patience wanes by the second. Then you have to practically strip so the security workers will let you through. There's even more pressure at this juncture. Loading all of one's belongings into a half-dozen of those gray bins isn't unlike fleeing a fire scene: "Leave it behind! Just go! We can't go back now!"

By the time you're spit out onto the other side of the security gateway, you've just praying you didn't leave anything important behind.

Will a soiled cloth count as one of my carry-on items? 

Now add a toddler to the mix — a potentially screaming pile of slobber and mischief. You can imagine why I'm planning to make the trek completely naked and without paraphernalia of any kind. The fewer belts, shoes, hats, watches, laptops and portable DVD players to contend with, the better.

Traveling with CT isn't too bad when we double-team him. But what am I supposed to do without backup? How can I be expected to keep track of him, carry a diaper bag, listen to my iPod, appease his hunger and mood swings, change his diaper in the ridiculously unsuitable men's bathroom AND utilize the free airport WiFi on my laptop? Perhaps I need to cut one of those action items out. I guess he won't get changed.

Even if I can get all the way through to the plane, other issues frighten me like John Edwards at a marriage-counseling session.

Will CT rifle the pretzel mix at an unsuspecting attendant's head upon realizing assorted nuts was a pipe dream?


Will a kind-hearted grandmother take pity on a dim-witted young father and watch the lad while said father drowns his frustrations in a Dr. Pepper?


Will CT's mother ever let CT's father have any responsibility of any kind after this trip?


This dearth of uncertainty is why I'm going to start packing three days early.

10 comments:

  1. Too funny, Jake! Can't wait to hear about your adventure, you brave soul! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you made the distinction of flying with a child with no adult supervision. That is how we roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's good that you're building it up to be so bad -- only leaves room to be pleasantly surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never pack early enough

    I never had to fly with my kids alone, but I did have to visit the courthouse a couple times with a 1YO and 4YO, which is almost the same, what with all the metal detectors, X-ray machines, stripteasing, and whatnot.

    Note to Terrorists: If looking to smuggle weapons onboard a plane, harness the power of a small, cranky child to make everyone want him to get the hell away along with whoever is responsible for him. The only real risk is the total lack of brain filtering causing nearly immediate disclosure of any and all secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake, this is too funny and I can't say I have done what you are about to do but I feel for you and will be praying that you guys will get there in one piece. Look at the bright side, if you do this you can do anything.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun!
    cristina

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've competed with the Hooded Man before and lived to tell the tale...you can do this!!! :) Have a great time and what a great husband to give your wife a breather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last time my loving wife left me alone for an extended period of time with my children (she's the one that went on a plane) I tried to curl my daughter's bangs (is that how you spell "bangs"? I don't beleive that I've ever had to type said word before)and she ended up having square-ish bangs. Lance the hairdresse with a lisp, I am not.

    -your old friend Danny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danny, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Welcome to the blog club.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing.