Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I won't be wrapped

I'm drawing a masculine yet gentle, stern yet supportive line in the sand.

I'm taking a stand against the "little girl wrapped around daddy's pinky finger" stereotype. I'm sick of hearing about it all the time, which is why it's going to come to a screeching halt with the birth of my daughter about 4 1/2 months from now.

Look, I'm not naive (at least, not about this). I'm sure thousands of men have promised to refrain from the money-draining, inconvenience-fostering practice of never saying "no" to their daughters. But I'll be the first to actually do it. I have the resolve of Lance Armstrong (does resolve = unnaturally high quantity of red blood cells?), the stubbornness of Jerry Jones, the penchant for discipline of Tom Coughlin and the checking account of Maurice Clarett. This should make for a successful combination, don't you think?

No, I'm not a monster. I will love and take care of my daughter. I will show her affection at every turn, and I'll bend over backward to improve her life. But this finger won't be wrapped. No way.

Part of why I'm adamant against being wrapped is that I've seen how this often plays out. The majority of the ridiculous women I know were first ridiculous little girls molded by ridiculous(ly) spineless dads.

I'm putting an end the ridiculousness. Who's with me?

10 comments:

  1. Great blog, Jake!!!! Parenting is all about producing productive and capable adults at the end so "pinky-wrapping" just doesn't fit into that scenario. You'll love having a little girl though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least we have it in writing so we can say, "Hey remember when you said this and now look at you."
    cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have about the same chance as a pig in a blanket. Or, to put it on your terms, the chance of Joe Flacco against the Steeler defense (who are both on my Fantasy team and playing this weekend). Good luck wit that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can't you have it both ways? She wraps you around her plump little finger but you don't become a jellyfish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maurice Clarett? You are the master of the ridiculously deep reference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Kate...have it both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I raised THREE daughters and NONE of them are spoiled. You will NOT be the first

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. I bet it is easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for a baby girl! :) Congrats!
    Good luck. I think you will do great at lovin' on her, but not spoiling her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo! As someone who knows too many spoiled, whiny, women I'm a strong advocate of, well -- strong (yet loving) parenting! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing.